Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Hiking or Rock Climbing?

Tuesday was a great example of everyone seeing things a little differently. We followed a clue today which warned of steep hiking that "kids will love." It also said that "little ones will need some hand holding" along this trail. Well, not hardly. We hiked down the path a ways, and yes, Nathan did need so hand holding. We turned a corner and we were on a rock outcropping on the side of the mountain! One wrong step and you are history!

At this point, we all stopped, sat down far from the edge and discussed our options. The boys stayed at the top and I headed down the path, letterbox pack on my back, walkie-talkie in my pocket, and walking stick in my hand. The path continued to stay rocky and gradually got steeper and steeper. Finally, it went straight down the mountain side. I sat for a long time reading and re-reading the clue and determined that the box could not be too far away now. At this point, to get down the path, I had to sit on the rocks and slowly lower myself down them one at a time, keeping the pack on my back out of the way. After about 50 feet of that, I was on level ground again and feet away from my prize.

Found the box...with a store bought, tiny plastic stamp. Ugh!!! Now I must say here that I am not usually a "stamp snob." When kids and families are new at boxing and just getting started, by all means, buy a stamp! But to risk life and limb, I expected a little more.

Oh well, it was a beautiful, although dangerous trail. Boy, I was glad I had my gloves! I put them on, put the walking stick around my wrist by the strap, and starting climbing back up. I had to use thick tree roots that were exposed like vines and ran along the rocks to help pull myself back up. Talk about a work out! I though my heart would beat out of my chest. I could barely talk to check in on the walkie-talkie. Climb, catch my breath, climb, catch my breath, I finally made it back up.

Got back to the boys, and Swamp Fox wanted to see what all the fuss was about, so down he went. We waited for him to climb down and back up. When he got back, he agreed, this is not a trail for kids, but it would be a fun trail for adventurous adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment